Monday, September 21, 2015

Technology in the 21st Century Classroom


            “The twenty-first-century classroom is a connected networked classroom” (Drake, Reid & Kolohon, 2014, p.24). This is due to the increasing relevance of technology in education and the involvement of technology in everyday life. Although many schools are enthusiastic about bringing technology into the classroom, there are others who are cautious about it as it can become uncomfortable when students know more about it than teachers. Despite the presence of discomfort, resistance to integrating technology into the classroom can be detrimental to the learning of today’s students (Drake et al., 2014). Technology can be used to improve education by providing support to difficult subjects by integrating the interests of students. It can be useful for making teaching and learning easier by bringing a new and fun aspect to the classroom that enriches and deepens skills and motivates and engages students (Safitry et al., 2015). This can be shown through Blooms Digital Taxonomy which shows through the below pyramid how technology can be implemented through each aspect of education using different tools and websites (Drake et al., 2014).
           With the increasing relevance of technology it is important that teachers are provided with the opportunities to understand how to use developmental technologies in order to create a positive attitude towards them. This can be done through content based workshops that discuss how to integrate tools such as the internet, smartboards, computer simulations and educational software into lesson plans (Acikalin, 2014). It is important to me that teachers are properly trained in the use of these technologies because I did not grow up in a classroom that had access to resources like these. As a future teacher I hope to be able to utilize technology to adapt to my students individual learning needs and to create student interest in subjects they might otherwise not have an interest in. Concordia Online Education discusses five ways SMART boards can be used to improve learning in the classroom. I believe that technology in the classroom is also important because it allows for the use of virtual field trips which connect students to experts and other classrooms around the world. The video below is an example of a twenty-first-century grade one and two classroom that has widely integrated technology into their curriculum. This video shows how bringing technology into the classroom can bring joy to students learning by integrating their interests and providing them with access to material and experts beyond their teacher that would not be available without technology.  

                                                           References

Acikalin, F.S. (2014). Use of instructional technologies in science classrooms: Teachers' perspectives. The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 13(2), 197-201.

Drake, S.M., Reid, J.L., & Kolohon, W. (2014). Interweaving curriculum and classroom assessment. Don Mills, Canada: Oxford University Press.

Safitry, T.S., Mantoro, T., Ayu, M.A., Mayumi, I., Dewanti, R., & Azmeela, S. (2015). Teachers perspectives and practices in applying technology to enhance learning in the classroom. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, 10(3), 10-14. doi:10.3991/ijet.v10i3.4356

3 comments:

  1. Cynthia, I really enjoyed reading your blog and learning about a deeper view of how technology can be implemented into the classroom. In another class, I recently learned that many teachers who are using technology in the classroom are using it as a incentive or motivator for students. This is seen as a negative way to use of the technology in the classroom because if a student misbehaves and the iPad is taken away from them, then they miss out on a key learning opportunity. I thought this was an interesting point, based on the ideas presented in your blog about technology bring new aspects that enrich and deepen student’s skills.

    I wonder what you think of how to deal with student’s who are miss using the technology. As in what to do if the student is leaving for example the app that you are learning and teaching with and going and playing a game that may be on the iPad. The majority of students who have iPad tend to use them as game centers at home, therefore I perceive an issue keep students on task.

    Finally, my last thought had to deal with schools who are underprivileged or underfunded and do not have the resources to have equipment to provide appropriate technology education in the classroom. Especially in rural or aboriginal locations, where schooling is stereotypical to be very different and underfunded compared to very central locations. What are your thoughts on how to make a level playing field among all students across the province?

    I really liked how you acknowledge that many teachers currently are apprehensive about including technology into the classroom. I think that’s a very valid and true issue. Some constructive feedback that I have for your next blog is to put more of your personal opinion in. I know you put it in at the end of the blog after uncovering all the information that is required to fully understand your opinion. However, I would have liked to hear more about how you would implement technology into your classroom. Or what subjects you think technology would work in or not work in. Overall, I really enjoyed the connection you made to Blooms Digital Taxonomy. I found that very interesting and thought provoking for my own future classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia,

    I loved your blog, as I am really interested in the idea of integrating technology into the classroom. Children in this generation are very tech-savvy and there are so many tools and apps available to us that are educational and appropriate to use in the classroom. I really liked your point about educating teachers on the use of technology in the classroom because I think if we are going to use it we need to be experts on it, just like we are with the subject matter we will be teaching. Having workshops for teachers that explain to them the types of programs, activities and resources that are available is a great way to ensure that technology is used properly in the classroom.

    In my placement class last year the school was fortunate enough to have SMART boards in every classroom. I got to witness how engaging subjects like mathematics could be for students when they got to use the SMART board. It allows them to interact with what they are learning which is a great way to keep them interested in school. In one of my education classes this semester we also talked about how to introduce technology in the classroom and how it is important for children to view iPads and SMART boards as learning tools and not just toys. Perhaps this could be a part of the teacher workshops, to help ensure that students are using technology to help their learning and not just to play like they may do at home.

    I would like to know of some examples of teachers using technology in the classroom; did they find it beneficial or too distracting? Also some information on how schools without a lot of spending money would be able to access this technology. Should all schools be given the same resources, is it up to funding? How would these schools get iPads, SMART boards etc. and would this create any problems of inequality?

    Meghan Kinninmont :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Cynthia! It brings up some very important points on how technology can be helpful in curriculum. I personally have experienced the bare minimum of technology in the classroom because I left elementary right at the beginning of the technology revolution. Now when I do placement I can see all the ways technology promotes learning skills! For instance I volunteered in a classroom where most of the work was done on a whiteboard and the kids liked this form of instruction because 1. it was WAY more interesting then the old chalk and blackboard 2. They understood technology and were more comfortable with this form of learning. Technology is also conducive with the growth mindset, I believe it gives kids the chance to showcase their skills in a variety of different ways. In your video that class had a huge selection of technological resources and that's wonderful but many schools cannot afford this kind of advancement. I'm wondering how can we implement technology into schools that are lower income? Are there ways to get the advantages of technology without having many resources? Also in the future it would be so great to hear more about your personal experiences!! For instance, how did you feel about having little technological resources in your past classes and now being expected to implement it in your own classroom? This is your blog so it'd be really awesome to hear more about you, and it would make it a bit longer too :) Overall great job, thanks for a good read!

    ReplyDelete