Inquiry-based
learning uses a backwards design that interweaves assessment into curriculum
and learning. An inquiry based classroom should promote create problem solving
that is driven by student’s asking questions and gathering evidence to make
sense of their world (Drake, Reid & Kolohon, 2014). When you enter an
inquiry-based learning environment you should not expect a silent classroom
with students sitting in rows, you should expect to hear the sound of students
who are actively learning and engaged by asking questions, using critical
thinking and problem solving. In this environment the teacher is not standing
up at the front of the class lecturing, but is a rather a part of learning,
acting as a guide in students exploration who using learning prompts, while
also learning alongside the students (Wu, Tseng & Hwang, 2015). Inquiry-based
learning should foster deep engagement in students that leads to constant
collaborative learning (Sinha, Rogat, Adams-Wiggins & Hmelo-Silver, 2015). I
believe that it is important for teachers to work towards inquiry-based
learning because it offers the opportunity to move education away from
standardized testing and towards an enriching environment that creates an
educational community through collaboration. Inquiry-based learning is a
constant cycle that encourages students to ask questions, investigate, create,
discuss and reflect upon their learning. This cycle will allow for students
interests to be incorporated into learning by teachers using questions as
lesson prompts and will allow students to use their learning as a way to make
sense of the world.
![]() |
| https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e9/60/f6/e960f695f9b8207a1b9b63bdc1010a7e.gif |
The
video below is a Ted Talk that was done by Brad Chumrau on inquiry-based
learning. Brad taught in the German education system for four years where he
was introduced to the idea as using the classroom as a sense of community and a
place for collaboration. The Primary Year Program implemented in Germany forced
teachers to collaborate to create relevant lessons which sky-rocketed student engagement.
Finally,
this video shows a practical perspective on inquiry based learning in
elementary classrooms from an elementary teacher and a program coordinator. It discusses
how an inquiry-based learning environment is based on the curiosity of the
students and that all students have this drive within them to always be
questioning. The goal is to ignite passion within students by allowing them to
explore something that they are interested in, with the teacher there as a
guide for learning.
References
Drake,
S.M., Reid, J.L., & Kolohon, W. (2014). Interweaving
curriculum and classroom assessment: Engaging the 21st century
learner. Don Mills, ON: Oxford University Press.
Sinha,
S., Rogat, T.K., Adams-Wiggins, K.R., & Hmelo-Silver, C.E. (2015).
Collaborative group engagement in a computer supported inquiry learning environment.
International Journal of Computer Supported
Collaborative Learning, 10, 273-307. doi: 10.1007/s11412-015-9218-y
Wu,
J.W., Tseng, J.C., & Hwang, G.J. (2015). Development of an inquiry-based
learning support system based on an intelligent knowledge exploration approach.
Educational Technology & Society, 18(3),
282-300.

I love your topic this week and I definitely understand inquiry-based learning a lot better after reading this. I like that you included a video showing a classroom using inquiry based learning as a lot of our comments last week were asking each other to explain how we would incorporate our topics in our classrooms. I think that inquiry based learning could link to my blog topic this week of getting to know your students. Inquiry based learning creates student engagement and is based on their interests, this would be easier for a teacher to do if they knew their students well and could draw on their interests to engage them in their learning.
ReplyDeleteIn my elementary schooling we usually sat in rows and had a traditional type of learning, I would hope that this is changing and we can move towards an inquiry-based classroom. Why do you think inquiry based learning isn’t incorporated in all classrooms yet? Have you seen this in action in any of your placements?
I really liked the inquiry-based learning video about Wildwood IB world magnet school video. I found it very interesting that the students came up with their own questions before, and then the teacher would find common questions and create class discussions and research assignments for the students to conduct. I think that is what really ignites the student’s passion to learn and act on their curiosity. I can relate, when I have to do a paper were I get to choose the topic, I always find I’m more interested and I do better. Just as you said, students have this drive to investigate.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was reading your blog, I enjoyed your opinion on why teachers should incorporate inquiry-based learning in their classrooms. However, I’m curious to know if you’ve experienced inquiry-based learning in your previous educational experience, or in any placements. For your next blog, after you discuss your beliefs about the topic explain why using a story that you’ve experienced. I find sometimes stories act like articles for topic, even though they are not empirical they still act as a reference to the public on why your opinion maybe swayed in a specific way.
Finally, after reading your blog, I wonder how under privilege schools would be able to incorporate inquiry-based learning into their daily school curriculum? I find many times inquiry-based learning involves different materials that are not common in classroom settings. Is this something the ministry of education should be considering when they create their budgets?
Overall, awesome job, and some really good improvements!
Great blog Cynthia! Inquiry based learning is a very important topic to investigate. There are too many classrooms where the teacher tells the students how and what they should be learning and students are losing their creative abilities because of it. I really liked how you gave all those examples of what inquiry based learning would look like (e.g. teacher not lecturing in front of the class) because I believe it gives other people a good idea of what the main ideas were. Furthermore both videos were extremely helpful in exemplifying real life implementations of inquiry based learning. Since we can see inquiry based learning being implemented in a real classroom it definitely makes me believe that this style of learning can work in practical circumstances and not just theoretical.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if you feel inquiry based learning is appropriate for all subjects or just certain ones? Furthermore, how can you incorporate inquiry based learning with curriculum expectations? Sometimes the topics that students want to discuss may not be related to the curriculum. I’m also wondering how privilege takes part in this kind of learning? Inquiry based learning can sometimes require a lot of different supplies that some schools cannot afford.
In the future it would be really awesome to hear about what you would do as a future teacher and using inquiry based learning! This general overview is super helpful but I am curious to hear your personal opinions and ideas!
Great job Cynthia!